Living in Texas, the amnesty issue is front and center. The number of illegals crossing the border each day affects jobs, state provided services, crime rates, and a myriad of other areas of our daily lives. Amnesty is a hotly debated issue in Washington right now as well. I don’t trust Speaker Boehner to have this country’s true interests at heart anymore, and I’ll need to count on my representatives to make sure Texans’ voices are heard.
We seem to be at an impasse, with some folks wanting complete amnesty for all illegals and their families, and the other side wanting every illegal immigrant sent back to their home country. Neither group is going to get their wish, but putting some common sense parameters into place might bring everyone closer to the middle. I’ve put together a few thoughts which make sense to me, and I’d be interested to know if they make sense to you.
Dee’s Easy Peazy Amnesty Plan:
- First and foremost – CLOSE THE BORDER NOW. Hire back the released border patrol officers, tighten up the screening of who can cross into the US, and follow ALL of the state and federal immigration laws already in place.
- Allow the illegal immigrants with jobs in the US to stay, but set up parameters that must be followed including paying restitution for breaking the law, paying any back taxes that are due, and waiting a determined amount of time to meet eligibility requirements and pass a background check and health screening.
- The illegal immigrants allowed to stay in the above group may bring only their immediate family from their home country, meaning spouse and children.
- If any of the above rules are broken, the illegal immigrant and their family are immediately deported back to their home country.
- If any illegal immigrant commits a felony, they are immediately deported back to their home country if not incarcerated in the US.
This really seems so common sense to me, I don’t see why we couldn’t find a way to implement this plan or something similar. I’m not looking for a plan with 146,000 pages, either, Obama Administration; just a straight forward plan that people on both sides of the aisle can get behind and put into place.
Problem solved in less than 30 minutes. Maybe I should look into running for office. 🙂